2021 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Winners
Chicago, IL: Winners of the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) 2021 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards were announced at the 2021 Virtual Awards Celebration, held on June 11, 2021. This design competition takes place each year to recognize excellence in, and celebrate structural engineering.
Awards were presented as follows:
- Jurors’ Favorite/Most Innovative: St. Regis, by Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- Best Project — >$150 Million: Circa, by CKC Structural Engineers
- Best Project — $50 Million to $150 Million: Shenzhen Rural Commercial Bank Headquarters, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- Best Project — $10 Million to $50 Million: RaviniaMusicBox Experience Center, by Wight & Company
- Best Project – up to $10 Million: 1040 W. Fulton, by IMEG Corp.
- Best Industrial/Utility Project: Sooner Plant Units 1 & 2 Conveyor 10 & 11, by Wolf Point Engineers
- Best Bridge/Transportation Project: Lakefront Trail Pedestrian Bridge, by HNTB
- Best Renovation/Retrofit Project: Chicago Union Station – Clinton Street Improvements, by Klein & Hoffman
- Best Special Structure: Robotic Construction – The Glass Vault by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- Lavicka Award: BMX Bowls Bridge, by EndreStudio
Awards of Merit:
- Johns Hopkins University, Applied Physics Laboratory, Building 201, CannonDesign
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center Inpatient Pavilion, GRAEF
- 110 North Wacker Drive, Thornton Tomasetti
The 2021 Panel of Judges:
- Academia – Matthew J. Gombeda, Ph.D.; Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, Illinois Tech
- Architecture – Jessica Figenholtz, AIA, LEED AP BD+C; President, AIA Chicago; Higher Education Practice Leader, Associate Principal, Perkins&Will
- Construction/Development — Eamonn Connolly, SE, PE, LEED AP; Director of Engineering, McHugh Engineering Group LLC
- Government – Luis D. Benitez, P.E., S.E.; Chief Bridge Engineer, Chicago Department of Transportation
- Media – Christina Koch
- Editorial Director/Associate Publisher, retrofit Magazine
- Structural Engineering – Ron Klemencic, PE, SE, Hon AIA; Chairman and CEO, Magnusson Klemencic Associates
For more information about the Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards, please visit www.SEAOI.org.
The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) was founded in 1965 by practicing structural engineers to advance and advocate excellence in structural engineering and to aid in safeguarding the lives and property of the public. SEAOI’s Mission is to champion excellence for its members in the practice of Structural Engineering.SEAOI contributes to the expansion of the art and science of structural engineering by offering education, outreach, and networking opportunities to members and the public living and working in Illinois.