December 2019 Trends
Congress Repeals $7.6B Highway Funding Rescission
A one-month continuing resolution (CR) that extends federal government funding through Dec. 20, 2019, also contained a provision that repealed a $7.6 billion rescission of federal-aid highway contract authority—a cut originally mandated by the 2015 Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act to occur in 2020.
The House of Representatives passed the CR by a vote of 231 to 192 on November 18, followed on November 21 by passage in the Senate by a vote of 74 to 20 and signed hours later by President Trump.
Conservancy Report Projects ROI From Active Transportation Investments
A new report from the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy projects that shifting short trips from driving to walking and biking via connected active-transportation infrastructure could help generate a return on investment of $73 billion to $138 billion per year in the United States if connected to public transit systems. Read the full report at bit.ly/2OE5C2h.
Study Links Real Estate Values to Public Transportation Access
A new joint study conducted by the American Public Transportation Association and the National Association of Realtors found that the median sale price for commercial and residential properties located within a half-mile of public transit services were four to 24 percentage points higher compared to properties in residential areas farther from public transit.
The report examined real estate prices in seven U.S. metropolitan regions that offered access to heavy rail, light rail, commuter rail and bus rapid transit: Boston; Eugene, Ore.; Hartford, Conn.; Los Angeles; Minneapolis-St. Paul; Phoenix; and Seattle. Read the full 56-page study at bit.ly/2sbPvS4.
The following are the top stories from the last few months (in terms of traffic) on the Informed Infrastructure website. This also reflects key coverage areas that are regularly refreshed online and via our weekly e-newsletter. Simply search key words on Informed Infrastructure online to find the full story.
- ACI 318-19 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete Now Available
- Video: Rainier Square Core Side-By-Side Comparison
- ASCE Structural Engineering Institute Announces New Prestandard for Performance-Based Wind Design
- Video: How to Restore an Earthquake-Destroyed UNESCO Heritage Palace
- LSU Researchers Continue Work on Bendable Concrete, Add Sugarcane Byproducts to the Mix
- Stantec to Lead Feasibility Study for Griffith Park Aerial Transit System
- Maryland Purple Line Celebrates Key Milestone at Glenridge Operations and Maintenance Facility
- The World’s Top 4 Ride-Hailing Companies Are Worth More Than $166 Billion
- Video: VDOT Materials Lab Tests Asphalts, Concrete
- Iowa County Engineer to Save Over $100,000 Using Innovative Steel Design for Bridge Replacement Project
- Contech Engineered Solutions Releases a New Reline Design Tool
- Stantec Selected for Wards Island Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrades
- Design-Build Procurement Begins for Third Phase of Narragansett Bay Combined Sewer Overflow Program
- Brown and Caldwell Begins Work on the Allen-McColloch Pipeline Rehabilitation for Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
- Video: Dam Threatens Last Tribes of Ethiopia
Tools and Technology
- New Integration for Autodesk Civil 3D
- Technology Helping ADOT to Manage Traffic through I-15 Bridge Project
- Road-SIT Survey v. 7.5: The Features that Streamline the Survey Work
- Trimble 4D Control Software Provides Greater Geotechnical Sensor Support
- Bentley Systems and Topcon Positioning Systems Launch their Digital Construction Works Joint Venture, to Close the Constructioneering Advancement Gap