April 2019 Trends
State Transportation Funding Legislation Ramping Up in 2019
Legislators in 37 states introduced 185 bills aimed at boosting transportation investment in the first two months of 2019, according to analysis from the American Road & Transportation Builders Association Transportation Investment Advocacy Center (ARTBA-TIAC). The number of bills introduced is higher than the amount of legislation tracked over the same period last year and is projected to grow as additional measures are introduced throughout the year.
Motor fuel taxes continue to be a popular method to raise new revenue. Twenty-one states have proposed increasing one or more types of motor fuel tax to generate funding for transportation improvements.
Continuing a trend seen in recent years, many states introduced electric vehicle fees to help ensure all vehicles that create wear and tear on roads pay for their share of maintenance. Sixteen states filed legislation to implement an electric vehicle registration fee, with 10 of those states including an additional registration fee for hybrid vehicles.
Find more information at www.transportationinvestment.org.
Survey: Contractors Struggling to Meet Project Deadlines as Labor Shortage Persists
Results from the Q1 2019 USG Corporation + U.S. Chamber of Commerce Commercial Construction Index indicate the labor shortage continues to pose major challenges to the industry, causing firms to ask skilled workers to do more work (81%), struggle to meet deadlines (70%), increase costs for new work (63%) and reject new projects (40%).
As the industry fights to solve the labor shortage, the latest survey suggests a contributing factor could be negative perceptions of construction careers by young workers, leading to fewer workers seeking to enter the industry.
View the full report at https://uscham.com/2CocYl2.
The following are the top stories from the last few months (in terms of traffic) on the Informed Infrastructure website. This also reflects key coverage areas that are regularly refreshed online and via our weekly e-newsletter. Simply search key words on Informed Infrastructure online to find the full story.
- ACEC New York Presents Two Platinum Awards to DeSimone Consulting Engineers
- Growing Awareness About Fire Safety and Stringent Regulations Drive the Global Passive Fire Protection Materials Market Growth
- Video: 301L vs 304 Stainless Steel
- Norway Is Entering a New Era of Climate-Conscious Architecture
- Hidden Bolted HSS Splices
- NPA Releases Groundbreaking Study on New Ways to Reduce Congestion for Livable Cities
- Real Growth for Transportation Construction Market in 2019, ARTBA’s Chief Economist Says
- RIDOT Taps ‘Bridge-in-a-Backpack’ System for Replacement Project
- Amtrak Completes Design of Premium Customer Space at Moynihan Train Hall
- Video: 34 State DOTs Share Expertise at 2019 TRB Annual Meeting
- American Utilities Act to Counter Rising Costs as Some Cities Raise Combined Tariffs by Over 30%
- Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) Signed Into Law
- Hundreds of Supporters Celebrate Sterling Natural Resource Center Groundbreaking
- Rising Wastewater Operating Costs are Main Driver of Water Tariff Growth in 2018
- Bluesky 3D Models Help Anglian Water Improve Water and Wastewater Infrastructure
Tools and Technology
- HNTB Elevates Design with HD Aerial Imagery
- Commercial Construction Looks to Advanced Technologies to Alleviate Workforce Challenges and Improve Productivity
- MathWorks Introduces Sensor Fusion and Tracking Toolbox
- The Wild Release v0.7 Allows Users to Create, Import, View and Manage Content with New macOS App
- BART Trip Planner Provides Seamless Commute in the Bay Area and Silicon Valley