Thirteen Steel Projects Win 2019 AISC IDEAS2 Awards
Drumroll please… Announcing the 2019 IDEAS2 winners, showcasing the best structural steel projects this year! The Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel awards program is conducted annually by AISC, and is the highest honor bestowed on building projects by the U.S. structural steel industry, recognizing excellence and innovation in the use of structural steel on building projects across the country.
The 13 IDEAS2 winners were chosen from nearly 100 submissions received from architectural, engineering and construction firms throughout the U.S. Each project was judged on its use of structural steel from both an architectural and structural engineering perspective, with an emphasis on: creative solutions to the project’s program requirements; applications of innovative design approaches in areas such as connections, gravity systems, lateral load-resisting systems, fire protection and blast resistance; aesthetic and visual impact; innovative use of architecturally exposed structural steel (AESS); technical or architectural advances in the use of the steel; and the use of innovative design and construction methods.
The IDEAS2 program also recognizes the importance of teamwork, coordination and collaboration in fostering successful construction projects.
The 2019 award-winning projects are:
Projects Greater than $75 Million
- National Award: 181 Fremont St., San Francisco
- National Award: Superior Court of California – San Diego
- Merit Award: LondonHouse Hotel, Chicago
Projects $15 Million to $75 Million
- National Award: UT Austin Engineering Education and Research Building Atrium, Austin, Texas
- National Award: Spectrum IV, San Diego
- Merit Award: Apple Michigan Avenue, Chicago
- Merit Award: The Exchange at 100 Federal Street, Boston
Projects Less than $15 Million
- National Award: Vespertine, Culver City, Calif.
- National Award: Caddell Building, Atlanta
- Merit Award: Saxum Vineyard Equipment Bard, Paso Robles, Calif.
Helen Diller Civic Center Playground, San Francisco
Presidential Award for Excellence in Fabrication
The Spheres, Seattle
Presidential Award for Erection Engineering to Facilitate Adaptive Reuse
75 Rockefeller Plaza, New York
For more information about the IDEAS2 awards and the winning projects, please visit www.aisc.org/ideas2. The winning projects and their respective team members will be recognized at the 2019 NASCC: The Steel Conference, April 3-5 in St. Louis. Click here for more information and to register for the conference.