/ Financial / Nearly $79M in Local Project Grants Go Out to New Jersey Municipalities

Nearly $79M in Local Project Grants Go Out to New Jersey Municipalities

Parul Dubey on June 8, 2017 - in Financial, News

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said the state will distribute $78.75 million in grants to localities for transportation projects under its Municipal Aid program.

“Most of the Municipal Aid grants will support road resurfacing or preservation projects, and will help towns make much needed repairs,” said NJDOT Commissioner Richard Hammer. “These grants will help keep local roads in a state of good repair without burdening local property taxes.”

The announcement said competitive awards will go to 373 applicants, out of a total of 628 applications seeking $287.3 million in project funding. The program is through the New Jersey Transportation Trust Fund, and the NJDOT evaluates the applications.

Under that Municipal Aid grant program, it said, each county is apportioned a share of the total available funding based on population and the number of local centerline miles. Municipalities then compete for portions of their county’s share.   

Criteria include past performance in connection with timely award of projects and construction close-out, it added.

The announcement also said that when evaluating grant applications, the NJDOT gives an additional point to municipalities that have adopted “complete streets” policies that require consideration be given to pedestrians and bicyclists when local transportation projects are planned, designed and built.

The department said that when municipal aid applications were due “there were 122 municipalities with complete streets policies, and all but 11 submitted applications. Of them, 99 were recommended for grants totaling $21.4 million.”

Under the program, the NJDOT provides 75 percent of a municipal aid grant when a town awards a contract, and provides the remaining 25 percent on completion of the project.

Comments are disabled