This Week’s Project:
Project Name: 280 Broadway
Company Name: Urbahn Architects
Project Location: New York City, New York, United States
The historic restoration of the marble façade of the seven-story, 240,000-sq.-ft. building at 280 Broadway, located between Chambers and Reade Streets in the Civic Center district of Manhattan, has won a 2020 Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award from the New York Landmarks Conservancy. The project team for the recently completed restoration included the New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC), the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS), Urbahn Architects, and historic conservator Jablonski Building Conservation. 280 Broadway houses offices of several New York City agencies.
Urbahn’s other recent project for DCAS and DDC, the restoration of the Surrogate’s Courthouse skylight at 31 Chambers Street in Manhattan, has also won this year’s Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award, highlighting the architectural firm’s expertise in leading some of the nation’s most complex historic restoration undertakings.
The Lucy G. Moses Awards are the New York Landmarks Conservancy’s highest honors for preservation excellence. The award will be bestowed upon the project team on September 23, 2020, during the 30th Anniversary Lucy G. Moses Preservation Awards Gala.
(Live feed starts at 6pm tonight: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYeyAtD-_w&feature=youtu.be )
According to Natale V. Barranco, AIA, LEED AP, Urbahn’s principal in charge, “This $17.5 million project’s challenges included matching the Tuckahoe marble; the sheer size of the renovation; and the phasing, which had to ensure the project would proceed without interrupting street traffic or operations of the building’s tenants. In addition, some of the cornices that need to be replaced or replicated weigh 400 pounds each, so significant planning to protect pedestrians was required.”
The five-story 280 Broadway structure was built in 1846 for A.T. Stewart Company, which opened the city’s first department store in it. The design, by John B. Snook of Joseph Trench & Company, called for heavy timber and masonry with cast iron on the first floor. Two additional stories were added in 1851. 280 Broadway is the first commercial building in New York City to be designed in the Italianate style and the first commercial structure in the city to be clad in Tuckahoe marble.
It was designated a national landmark in 1965 and a New York City landmark in 1986. For a time it was the headquarters of The Sun newspaper, and a clock from that era still rests on the Broadway corner of the building, reading “The Sun… It Shines for All.” The building is now owned by New York City and houses DCAS and other agencies, with retail tenants on the first floor. It is located across from City Hall Park and occupies a very prominent location in downtown Manhattan.
DCAS is the building owner, and DDC was the program manager for the renovation’s design and construction phases. In addition to Urbahn, serving as the architect, the team included Jablonski Building Conservation, Inc. as the conservation and historic preservation consultant, Ysrael A. Seinuk P.C. as the structural engineer, and Lo Sardo General Contractors as the contractor