Russia – IGU Regional Conference 2015
The IGU conference “Geography, Culture and Society for Future Earth” will take place at Lomonosov Moscow State University (LMSU) on 17-21 August 2015. There are currently 2,000 registered participants. It is organised and managed by the LMSU, the Russian Geographical Society, the Russian Academy of Sciences and the National Committee of Russian Geographers.
The IGU 2015 scientific programme features over 100 sessions and workshops.
The main themes are:
- urban environmental conditions
- polar research
- climate change
- international conflicts
- sustainable regional development
The conference will also host sections on the following issues:
- geographic information systems and distributed spatial data
- natural and anthropogenic disasters and risks
- modeling geographic systems
- geography in secondary and higher education
- environmental impacts of the Olympic Games and other megaprojects
- contemporary geographic technologies;
- economic spatial dynamics
- sustainable management of natural resources
There will be a special programme for young scholars that features an orienteering tournament; round table discussions dedicated to organising research projects and writing scientific articles; and a competition for best session report by a participant under the age of 35.
Geographical education will receive special attention at the conference; the programme includes sessions on “Academic Geography for Secondary Schools” and “Teaching Geography in the University.” IGU Moscow will also host the 12th International Geography Olympiad.