Transportation Forecast: Global Fuel Consumption
Reducing the transportation sector’s dependence on oil has long been a policy goal of governments globally. The sector’s overwhelming dependence on the resource results in major costs that affect energy security, environmental security, and economic stability for nations globally. More than 1.2 billion vehicles are on the world’s roads today, with nearly 98% being powered by blends of gasoline or diesel. Governments have initiated a number of policies aimed at reducing oil consumption, including subsidizing alternative fuels and alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs), biofuels mandates, and higher fuel economy requirements for new vehicles.
Markets for both vehicles and fuels have gradually begun to respond to these government programs, and alternative fuels are beginning to have an impact on global oil demand. The shape and form of road transportation alternative fuels markets vary by region, largely influenced by government regulations, local resources, infrastructure, and fuel prices. For instance, markets for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) are particularly strong in Eastern Europe, Turkey, and South Korea, but relatively mute elsewhere. As such, no one alternative fuel has been pinpointed as the perfect alternative fuel solution. Navigant Research forecasts that annual energy consumption in the global road transportation sector will grow from 81.1 quadrillion Btu in 2014 to 101.7 quadrillion Btu in 2035.
This Navigant Research report analyzes the global road transportation fuels market by alternative fuel and vehicle segment (light duty vehicles and medium and heavy duty vehicles). Analysis and data are provided for the following fuels: gasoline, diesel, ethanol, biodiesel, drop-in biofuels, natural gas, LPG, electricity, and hydrogen. Global market forecasts for energy, oil, and fuel consumption, segmented by country and vehicle segment, extend through 2035.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is the overall impact of alternative fuels and alternative fuel vehicles on the global fuels supply and market?
- What impact are advances in vehicle fuel economy having on the conventional fuels (gasoline and diesel) supply and markets?
- What are the fastest-growing alternative fuels by region?
- What are the major factors and variables in assessing demand for road transportation fuels?
- What are the market drivers and challenges for each fuel type?
Who needs this report?
- Electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) providers and manufacturers
- Oil & gas companies
- Biofuels producers
- Natural gas and hydrogen infrastructure developers
- Battery suppliers
- Government agencies
- Investor community