URISA Accepting Nominations for GIS Hall of Fame
The Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA) is now accepting nominations for its GIS Hall of Fame. Nominations are due by May 1, 2014. URISA’s GIS Hall of Fame honors persons and organizations that have made significant and original contributions to the development and application of GIS concepts, tools, or resources, or to the GIS profession.
Anyone may nominate a person or organization for induction to URISA’s GIS Hall of Fame. To make a nomination, submit a written statement to URISA describing:
1. The nominee’s achievements, emphasizing significant and original contributions to the development or application of GIS concepts, tools, or resources, or to the GIS profession; and
2. The significance of the nominee’s contributions, in terms of their enduring impact on the GIS field or profession, and their social benefit.
Hall of Fame laureates are expected to exemplify vision, leadership, perseverance, community-mindedness, professional involvement, and ethical behavior.
The nomination statement may be of any length, but it must be preceded by a one-page stand-alone summary. Nomination statements should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1. A committee of past URISA Presidents will review all nominations and make recommendations to the URISA Board of Directors by mid-June. Recipients will be honored during GIS-Pro 2014: URISA’s 52nd Annual Conference in New Orleans taking place September 8-11. This honor may not be given every year, and in some years there may be multiple recipients.
URISA’s Hall of Fame laureates include:
· 2005 Inductees: Edgar Horwood, Ian McHarg, Roger Tomlinson, Jack Dangermond, Nancy Tosta, and the Harvard Lab
· 2006 Inductee: Gary Hunter
· 2007 Inductees: Don Cooke and Michael Goodchild
· 2009 Inductees: Will Craig and Carl Reed
· 2010 Inductee: C. Dana Tomlin
· 2011 Inductees: William Huxhold and Barry Wellar
· 2012 Inductees: National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Natural Resources Canada, Statistics Canada, United States Census Bureau and United States Geological Survey
Visit URISA’s GIS Hall of Fame to learn about their path-breaking accomplishments.