ALEXANDRIA, Va. – The Water Environment Federation (WEF) is announcing the 2022 WEF Published Papers and Education Awards, which recognize WEF members for their significant impact in promoting awareness and understanding of water issues through the development of peer-reviewed research, public outreach, and academic curricula.
WEF is also announcing the recipients of the 2022 WEF Operator Scholarship program, which provides up to $5,000 each for individuals who are seeking operator education, training, or certification to enter the industry or to advance their knowledge, skills, abilities, or license.
“WEF is proud of these members for their valuable research, which contributes broadly to water management and is critical to the future of the water sector,” says WEF Executive Director Walt Marlowe. “WEF also appreciates our members’ accomplishments in promoting awareness and understanding of water issues through public education initiatives. Additionally, we are excited to support the professional development of operators, who are truly the backbone of our sector.”
PUBLISHED PAPERS AWARD
Eddy Wastewater Principals/Process Medal
Onder Caliskaner, George Tchobanoglous, Lilly Imani and Brian Davis
“Performance evaluation of first full-scale primary filtration using a fine pore cloth media disk filter weak Water” inEnvironment Research.
Gascoigne WWTP Operational Improvement Medal
Jon van Dommelen and Rob Smith
“Weak-In Worked Out” in Water Environment and Technology.
McKee Groundwater Protection, Restoration or Sustainable Use Award
Wei-Ting Chen, Ku-Fan Chen, Rao Y. Surampalli, Tian C. Zhan, Jiun-Hau Ou and Chih-Ming Kao
“Bioremediation of trichloroethylene-polluted groundwater using emulsified castor oil for slow carbon release and acidification control” in Water Environment Research.
Rudolfs Industrial Waste Management Medal
Amanda Johansen Mattingly and Francis Lajara de los Reyes III
“Does Bioaugmentation of Aerated Stabilization Basins Work? Lessons from Field Scale Trials with a Control” in 2021 WEFTEC Proceedings.
WEF Canham Graduate Studies Scholarship
Duong Nguyen, Rocky Mountain Water Environment Association
This scholarship, honoring the former Water Environment Federation Executive Director, Robert Canham, provides $25,000 for a post-baccalaureate student in the water environment field.
STUDENT CHAPTER OF THE YEAR AWARD
University of Alabama, Young Water Professionals
WEF recognizes one Student Chapter for exemplary effort in helping WEF in building a community of empowered professionals who create a healthy global water environment.
This year’s awardees include:
- Eliseo Bonilla – Ventura, CA (California Water Environment Association)
- William Branton – Cohasset, MA (New England Water Environment Association)
- Denton Chas Campbell – San Angelo, TX (Water Environment Association of Texas)
- Jose Gonzalez – Loxahatchee, FL (Florida Water Environment Association)
- Evan Hurrle – Wilson, WY (Rocky Mountain Water Environment Association)
- Derek Jefferson – Siletz, OR (Pacific Northwest Clean Water Association)
- Raudel Juarez – Midlothian, TX (Water Environment Association of Texas)
- Amanda Martin Akins – Sparta, GA (Georgia Association of Water Professionals)
- Jonathan Montovio – Woodbridge, VA (Virginia Water Environment Association)
- Katherine Mowbray – East Jordon, MI (Michigan Water Environment Association)
- Luis Negrete – Gardena, CA (California Water Environment Association)
- Glenda Perrott – Cartersville, GA (Georgia Association of Water Professionals)
- Todd Saums – Sylvania, OH (Ohio Water Environment Association)
- Jeff Van Andel – Etobicoke, ON (Water Environment Association of Ontario)
For more information about the 2022 WEF Awards visit https://www.wef.org/membership/awards-recognition/2022-wef-awards-winners/
The Water Environment Federation (WEF) is a not-for-profit technical and educational organization of more than 30,000 individual members and 75 affiliated Member Associations representing water quality professionals around the world. Since 1928, WEF and its members have protected public health and the environment. As a global water sector leader, our mission is to connect water professionals; enrich the expertise of water professionals; increase the awareness of the impact and value of water; and provide a platform for water sector innovation. To learn more, visit www.wef.org