/ Airports / NJDOT awards $8.5 million in Airport Improvement Program grants

NJDOT awards $8.5 million in Airport Improvement Program grants

Parul Dubey on February 16, 2022 - in Airports, Financial, News

Grants will support projects at 11 airports in 8 counties

(Trenton) – The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced the award of 11 Airport Improvement Program grants totaling more than $8.5 million in state funds to support airport safety and improvement projects.

“General aviation airports not only provide transportation for residents, businesses, and visitors, but also serve as key economic engines for local communities,” NJDOT Commissioner Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti said. “These grants will improve our public-use airports, so all facets of New Jersey’s multi-modal transportation system are modern and safe.”

Grants are awarded through a competitive process. Projects receiving funds this year include runway rehabilitation, taxiway construction, lighting improvements, obstruction removal, and safety improvements at 11 airports in 8 counties throughout the state.

The grants will be funded solely through NJDOT’s Transportation Trust Fund and Airport Safety Fund, with the state providing 90 percent of the eligible cost and the remaining 10 percent covered by the airport owner. By leveraging $8.5 million in state funding, along with the $900,000 in airport contributions, more than $9.4 million worth of work will be done.

Comments are disabled