CFSEI Announces Winners of 2021 Design Excellence and Creative Detail Awards
Photo of SOS Children’s Village Roosevelt Community Center is courtesy of JGMA.
WASHINGTON, D.C. —The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI) has announced the winners of its 2021 CFSEI Design Excellence and Creative Detail awards. This year’s awards were presented during the 2021 CFSEI Virtual Expo which was held May 18-20, 2021. The award winners and descriptions of projects are included at https://www.cfsei.org/awards.
CFSEI Design Excellence Awards recognize projects that exemplify excellence in the structural design of new or renovated structures utilizing cold-formed steel (CFS) products. Entries are judged on design creativity, technical innovation and overall project excellence in cold-formed steel utilization in these categories: Residential/Hospitality, Municipal and Commercial. The 2021 CFSEI Design Excellence Award winners are:
- First Place—raSmith—SOS Children’s Village Roosevelt Community Center—Chicago, IL
- Second Place—McClure Engineering—The Deacon—Cincinnati, OH
- Third Place—McClure Engineering—100 Kings Highway—St. Louis, MO
- First Place—Excel Engineering, Inc.—The David Rubenstein Forum—Chicago, IL
- Second Place—ADTEK Engineers, Inc.—LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal B Replacement—New York City, NY
- Third Place—ClarkDietrich Engineering Services LLC—Will County Courthouse—Joliet, IL
- First Place—The Leffler Group—Blue Federal Credit Union World Headquarters—Cheyenne, WY
- Second Place—ClarkDietrich Engineering Services LLC—Arhaus Furniture—Oak Brook, IL
- Third Place—The Leffler Group—UCHealth Steadman Hawkins Clinic—Englewood, CO
A description of each of the award-winning CFSEI Design Excellence projects is included at https://www.cfsei.org/design_excellence_award_winners_2021.
CFSEI Creative Detail Awards recognize a cold-formed steel detail that exemplifies creativity or ingenuity to solve a design challenge. The 2021 CFSEI Creative Detail Awards were presented to:
- First Place—ClarkDietrich Engineering Services LLC—Porsche Lincolnwood—Lincolnwood, IL
- Second Place—ADTEK Engineers, Inc—LaGuardia Airport—New York City, NY
- Third Place—The Leffler Group—Level 23 Aqua Lounge Ceiling—Black Hawk, CO
- Honorable Mention—Structural Evolution—Avita Community Partners Behavioral Health Facility—Hall County, GA
A description of each of the award-winning CFSEI Creative Detail projects is included at https://www.cfsei.org/creative_detail_award_winners_2021.
“We received more project entries for this year’s awards than for any previous year, and all of them demonstrated the creativity and flexibility that cold-formed steel provides for a wide variety of design challenges,” said Robert Wills, P.E., managing director of the Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute. “We congratulate the award winners and encourage engineers, architects and other design professionals to learn more about these innovative projects in order to stimulate new ideas for their own projects. We appreciate all of the entries that were submitted.”
Wills continued: “We would also like to thank our sponsors for supporting this year’s event, which would not have been possible otherwise. Our Tier 1 sponsors included ClarkDietrich Building Systems, Marino\Ware, MiTek Inc., Simpson Strong-Tie and USG Corporation. Our Tier 2 sponsors included Argos Systems, CEMCO, raSmith Inc. and TrusSteel. We appreciate all that they did to make the 2021 CFSEI Virtual Expo successful.”
The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute comprises hundreds of structural engineers and other design professionals who are finding a better way to produce safe and efficient designs for commercial and residential structures with cold-formed steel. CFSEI members work together to develop and evolve industry standards and design methods, produce and issue technical bulletins, and provide seminars and online training to improve the knowledge and skills base of engineers and design professionals. For more information, visit https://www.cfsei.org/.