Johnson Controls releases 2021 Sustainability Report
- Report includes Johnson Controls` bold new environmental, social and governance commitments
- Highlights progress towards sustainability goals
- Reinforces Johnson Controls commitment to building a world that`s safe, comfortable and sustainable
CORK, Ireland — Johnson Controls (NYSE: JCI), the global leader for smart, healthy and sustainable buildings, today published its 2021 Sustainability Report, highlighting includes bold new environmental, social and governance commitments and progress towards the company’s sustainability goals.
“At Johnson Controls, sustainability is our business. This year saw us continue to pioneer new and important paths to sustainability, including our issuance of a green bond in the U.S. capital markets – among the very first industrials to do so.
We welcome and embrace the enhanced attention and urgency around tackling climate change and making gains across environmental, social and governance pillars. We are determined to strengthen and further build our culture of diversity and inclusion.
Our bold new sustainability commitments demonstrate we are all-in to help drive healthy buildings, healthy people and a healthy planet for our employees, shareholders, customers and all of our stakeholders.”
George Oliver, Chairman and CEO Johnson Controls
Highlights of the report include:
- New ambitious sustainability commitments that outline our priority to make positive changes in lowering our company footprint such as achieving net zero carbon emissions before 2040.
- Our first-ever Sustainability Report that includes and fully integrates our first-ever diversity and inclusion report, highlighting our D&I commitment, mission, vision, pillars and progress.
- Our goal to double our customers’ emission reductions through implementation of our OpenBlue digitally enabled solutions by 2030.
- Our intention to double the representation of women leaders globally and minority leaders in the United States over the next five years.
- Our green financing initiatives, including a green bond –one of the first industrial companies to issue a green bond in U.S. debt capital markets – and a senior revolving credit facility tied to specific sustainability metrics
- Executive compensation that is linked to sustainability and diversity performance goals
- The appointment of the company’s first Chief Sustainability Officer and the formation of a Governance and Sustainability board of directors’ committee
- Our ambitious Science-Based Targets which were approved by the Science Based Targets Initiative
- Performance contracting projects that have helped our customers avoid more than 30.6 million metric tons CO2e and save $6.6 billion USD through energy and operational savings since January 2000.
- Greenhouse gas emissions intensity reduction of more than 70% since 2002.
- Our commitment to The Climate Pledge, co-founded by Amazon and Global Optimism, to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2040
- George Oliver is selected as the chairman of the Business Roundtable Energy & Environment Committee. The committee dedicates itself to policies that support an environmentally and economically sustainable future. This includes supporting policies that can deliver at least 80% carbon emission reductions before 2050 in line with the goals of the Paris Climate Accord.
- Achieving and exceeding our fiscal 2020 goal for greenhouse gas intensity with a 7.7 percent reduction.
- Progress toward zero landfill goals, with 21 of our facilities becoming certified landfill-free to date.
- Exceeding our fiscal 2020 safety goal with a Zero Harm vision worldwide. In 2020, in response to the COVID-19, we created additional Zero Harm processes, tools and solutions to support our employees and sites through the pandemic.
- Achieving our supplier diversity goal to purchase from certified diverse suppliers at a higher percentage rate than revenue growth.
Download the full report here: https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/2021sustainability and to read more about Johnson Controls commitment to sustainability, please visit: https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/corporate-sustainability/environment
About Johnson Controls:
At Johnson Controls (NYSE:JCI) we transform the environments where people live, work, learn and play. As the global leader in smart, healthy and sustainable buildings, our mission is to reimagine the performance of buildings to serve people, places and the planet.
With a history of more than 135 years of innovation, Johnson Controls delivers the blueprint of the future for industries such as healthcare, schools, data centers, airports, stadiums, manufacturing and beyond through its comprehensive digital offering OpenBlue. With a global team of 100,000 experts in more than 150 countries, Johnson Controls offers the world`s largest portfolio of building technology, software as well as service solutions with some of the most trusted names in the industry. For more information, visit www.johnsoncontrols.com or follow us @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.