2019 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Winners
Chicago, IL: Winners of the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) 2019 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards were announced at the 2019 Annual Banquet, held on June 22, 2019 at Ignite Glass Studio in Chicago, IL. This design competition takes place each year to recognize excellence in structural engineering.
Awards were presented as follows:
- Jurors’ Favorite/Most Innovative: Rufus 2.0 Spheres, by Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- Best Project — >$150 Million: Glenstone II Art Museum, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- Best Project — $50 Million to $150 Million: Manhattan Loft Gardens, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- Best Project — $10 Million to $50 Million: Brother James Gaffney, FSC, Student Center, by Wight & Company
- Best Project – up to $10 Million: Lake Shore Drive Residence, by The Structural Group
- Best Industrial/Utility Project: Trumpf Inc. Smart Factory, by IMEG Corp.
- Best Bridge/Transportation Project: 41st Street Steel Arch Pedestrian Bridge, by Chicago Department of Transportation and AECOM
- Best Renovation/Retrofit Project: TIE
- Chicago Union Station Great Hall Restoration, by Klein and Hoffman, Inc.
- Hotel Julian, by TGRWA
- Best Neighboring State Project: Mackinac Bridge Paint Platforms, by Ruby + Associates
- Lavicka Award: Theater on the Lake, by Clark T Baurer Structural Engineering
Awards of Merit:
- One Bennett Park, Thornton Tomasetti, Inc.
- Circa, Cary Kopczynski & Company
- H. Robinson Midwest Headquarters, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- I-240 MemFix4 CMGC, Alfred Benesch & Company
- Dale Gardner Veterans Memorial Bridge, Parsons
- 905 W Fulton, FOREFRONT Structural Engineers
- Wrigley Field Renovation, Thornton Tomasetti, Inc.
- Kinematic Sculpture; Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
The 2019 Panel of Judges:
- Academia – Gianluca Cusatis, Ph.D. , Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering Northwestern University
- Architecture – Robert Forest, FAIA, RIBA, OAA, Partner, Adrian Smith Gordon Gill Architecture
- Construction/Development — Mike Pfeffer, Vice President of Architecture, Related Midwest
- Government – Rebekah Scheinfeld, Commissioner, Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
- Media – Kevin Carmody, Group Publisher, V1 Media/Informed Infrastructure Magazine Structural Engineering – Danielle Kleinhans, PhD, PE, FACI, President/CEO, Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute
For more information about the Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards, please visit www.SEAOI.org.
The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) was founded in 1965 by practicing structural engineers to advance and advocate excellence in structural engineering and to aid in safeguarding the lives and property of the public. SEAOI’s Mission is to champion excellence for its members in the practice of Structural Engineering. SEAOI contributes to the expansion of the art and science of structural engineering by offering education, outreach and networking opportunities to members and the public living and working in Illinois.