SSAB Launches Strenx® 1100 Plus for Stronger and Lighter Lifting Equipment
[09.04.2019, Stockholm] SSAB today announced the launch of Strenx® 1100 Plus strip steel. Available for immediate order, this new grade of hot-rolled, high-strength steel possesses unique weld properties and delivers outstanding welding and bending performance in booms, frames, cranes and other lifting equipment.
Part of the 1100 MPa range of Strenx® performance steels, Strenx® 1100 Plus brings advances in weld seam strength that are ideal for the lifting sector. This new steel grade gives customers and end users lighter yet stronger equipment that can reach farther, increase payload and improve fuel economy. Strenx® 1100 Plus is designed to help boost overall performance and productivity.
Weld weaknesses virtually eliminated
Traditionally, weld seams can represent weak links in the highest grades of structural steels such as S1100 and S900. But with Strenx® 1100 Plus, such weld weaknesses are virtually eliminated because the strength, elongation and impact toughness properties of the welded area meet the minimum guarantees of the base material.
Advanced, innovative design options
The optimal combination of strength and toughness of the welded and heat-affected area offers a major benefit to the design engineering process. The design can be based on the same minimum static strength for the entire application, depending on the design rules. It is ideal for lifting equipments, and advanced structures that require matching strength in the welds. Strenx® 1100 Plus is designed for the applications that require welded joints; that we don´t limit the heat input; this means they can weld at the room temperature compare to other high yield strength steel products in the market, lifting equipment producers can increase the productivity and reach more advanced design options
Strenx® 1100 Plus benefits in the workshop
• An exceptionally clean steel and a precisely controlled production process mean consistently high quality and predictable results
• Guaranteed flatness, thickness, bendability
• Tight tolerances, guaranteed
• The recommended heat input interval is very wide, with cooling times, ∆t 8/5, from 5 to 20 seconds.
• Strenx® 1100 Plus does not require any preheating when welded, based on CTS tests according to ISO 17642-2:2005.
• Optimal combination of strength and toughness in welded area and heat affected zone
Technical specifications – Reach higher and farther with Strenx® 1100 Plus
See a sample and meet SSAB at Bauma Munich 2019
Visititors can find SSAB at Bauma Munich in Hall A6, Stand 439, to view samples of the new Strenx® grade and place an order. SSAB is also happy to discuss results of its tests and analyses of the steel, provide advice on upgrading, and more.
Strenx® 1100 Plus welded tensile test specimen
• Two pieces of 8 mm Strenx® 1100 Plus have been welded together
• MAG welded with a 960 MPa consumable with Δt 8/5 of 12 seconds in 2 passes
• After the reinforcement been removed, the welded specimen was loaded in a tensile testing machine
• The loading was stopped when the necking occurred
• The necking shows where the sample would have broken if the loading hasn’t been stopped
• The rupture would have taken place in the unaffected parent material
• It is the same minimum mechanical properties, yield, tensile and elongation, across a weld, as for the parent material
For further information, please contact:
Emre Aytaç, Brand Manager Strenx® performance steel,
firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +46 70 285 3247
SSAB is a Nordic and US-based steel company. SSAB offers value added products and services developed in close cooperation with its customers to create a stronger, lighter and more sustainable world. SSAB has employees in more than 50 countries. SSAB has production facilities in Sweden, Finland and the US. SSAB is listed on the Nasdaq OMX Nordic Exchange in Stockholm and has a secondary listing on the Nasdaq OMX in Helsinki. www.ssab.com.