Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Winners
Chicago, Ill.—Winners of the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) 2016 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards were announced at the 2016 Awards Dinner, held on June 11, 2016 on the 99th floor of Willis Tower in Chicago, IL. This design competition takes place each year to recognize excellence in structural engineering.
Awards were presented as follows:
- Jurors’ Favorite/Most Innovative: 150 North Riverside, by Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- Best Renovation/Retrofit Project: LondonHouse Hotel, by TGRWA, LLC
- Best Bridge/Transportation Project: 130th and Torrence Avenue Grade Separation, by Alfred Benesch & Company
- Best Project — >$150 Million: Tanana River Bridge, by Hanson Professional Services Inc.
- Best Project — $50 Million to $150 Million: Northwestern University, Ryan Center for the Musical Arts, by Thornton Tomasetti
- Best Project — $5 Million to $50 Million: NEIU EL Centro, by Forefront Structural Engineers
- Best Project — $1 Million to $5 Million: Ethelbert Cooper Gallery of African & African American Art, by Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
- William and Alys Lavicka Award: New Splayed Steel Frame Glass Canopy, by Probe Consulting Engineers, Inc.
- Awards of Merit:
- 1K Fulton, by Forefront Structural Engineers
- Gordon Parks Arts Hall (University of Chicago Lab Schools), by Rubinos & Mesia Engineers, Inc.
- Joliet Central High School, New Student Center Addition, by Wight & Company
- Navy Pier Ferris Wheel Infrastructure, by Thornton Tomasetti
- OKO Tower, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- The Strand, American Conservatory Theater (A.C.T.), by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- Writers Theatre, by Halvorson and Partners: A WSP| Parsons Brinckerhoff Company
- Zurich North America Headquarters, by Halvorson and Partners: A WSP| Parsons Brinckerhoff Company
The 2016 Panel of Judges were:
Academia – Karen Chou, Assistant Chair of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University
Architecture – Dawn Schuette – Current president of AIA Chicago and Owner Threshold Acoustics LLC
Government – Asif Rahman, Deputy Director of Permitting, City of Chicago Building Department
Structural Engineering – Paul Kelley, Senior Principal, Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
Media – Anjulie Rao, Communications Director for AIA Chicago/Editor, Chicago Architect
For more information about the Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards, please visit www.SEAOI.org.
The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) was founded in 1965 by practicing structural engineers to advance and advocate excellence in structural engineering and to aid in safeguarding the lives and property of the public. SEAOI contributes to the expansion of the art and science of structural engineering by offering education, outreach and networking opportunities to members and the public living and working in Illinois.