ACI Announces Foundation Fellowship and Scholarship Recipients
Farmington Hills, Mich., June 6, 2016—The ACI Foundation, the non-profit subsidiary of American Concrete Institute that facilitates industry research, collaboration, student fellowships and scholarships, is pleased to announce the 17 recipients of the 2016-2017 fellowships and scholarships.
ACI Foundation Fellowships are offered for both undergraduate and graduate students studying at accredited American and Canadian universities and must be nominated by an ACI member faculty. Fellowship recipients receive an industry mentor, expenses paid trips to three ACI Conventions, often an optional internship, recognition on ACI Foundation’s website and Concrete International all on top of receiving an academic stipend.
The 2016-2017 Fellowship recipients are:
- ACI Barbara S. and W. Calvin McCall Carolinas Fellowship: Lateef Assi, University of South Carolina
- ACI Charles Pankow Student Fellowship: Iman Mehdipour, Missouri S&T
- ACI Darrell Elliott Louisiana Fellowship: Rebecca Nylen, Auburn University
- ACI Elmer Baker Fellowship: Bjorn Vors, University of Saskatchewan
- ACI Presidents’ Fellowship: Aishwarya Puranam, Purdue University
- ACI Richard D. Stehly Memorial Fellowship: Megan Voss, Valparaiso University
- ACI Richard N. White Student Fellowship: Yadira Porras, Kansas State University
- ACI Tribute to the Founders Fellowship: Stephanie Wood, University of Alabama
ACI Foundation Scholarships are offered for both undergraduate and graduate students and are offered to students worldwide. The 2016-2017 Scholarship recipients are:
- ACI Scholarship (Two Scholarships Awarded): Amir Rezaeivahdati, University of Saskatchewan
- Disan Katumba, New Jersey Institute of Technology
- ACI Bertold E. Weinberg Scholarship: Junko Yamamato, Harvard Graduate School of Design
- ACI Katharine & Bryant Mather Scholarship: Shuveksha Tuladhar, University of Texas at Arlington
- ACI Kumar Mehta Scholarship: Viet Le, University of Massachusetts
- ACI Schwing America Scholarship: Bruno Fong-Martinez, University Texas at Austin
- ACI Stewart C. Watson Memorial Scholarship: Robert Devine, University of Notre Dame
- ACI W. Gene Corley Memorial Scholarship: Michael Brandes, University of Notre Dame
- ACI Richard D. Stehly Memorial Scholarship: Cole Pilgram, Texas State University
- “The real success of ACI Foundation’s fellowships and scholarships is not the tuition they pay, but the careers they cultivate within the industry,” stated Debrethann Orsak, Chair, ACI Foundation Scholarship Council. “These awards bring students, industry, and ACI together, providing a vehicle for all three to advance.”
Applications for the ACI Foundation 2017 – 2018 fellowships and scholarships will open this July. More information about the ACI Foundation can be found by visiting its website: www.ACIFoundation.org.
The ACI Foundation was established in 1989 to promote progress, innovation, and collaboration and is a wholly owned and operated non-profit subsidiary of the American Concrete Institute. Three councils make up the ACI Foundation; the Strategic Development Council, committed to resolving the issues of new technology acceptance within the concrete industry; the Concrete Research Council, which funds and assists in the research of new concrete technologies; and the Scholarship Council which facilitates student fellowships and scholarships.