FLATIRON-AECOM Team Awarded C-470 Design-Build Project
Broomfield, Colo., May 10, 2016—Flatiron Construction Corp. (FLATIRON), one of the largest infrastructure contractors in North America, along with its partner AECOM (NYSE: ACM), a premier, fully integrated global infrastructure firm, were named Apparent Selected Proposer by the Colorado Department of Transportation to design and build the $215 million, 12-mile C-470 Tolled Express Lanes Segment 1 project in the Denver metro area.
The fully integrated design and construction team is led by FLATIRON with AECOM providing construction and design services for the project.
“FLATIRON is proud to be leading the team that includes our outstanding partner, AECOM, to build Colorado’s most critical transportation link in Denver’s south metro area,” said John DiCiurcio, FLATIRON Chief Executive Officer. “The FLATIRON-AECOM team looks forward to partnering with CDOT to deliver a successful project.”
Michael S. Burke, AECOM Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, added: “We look forward to the opportunity to improve the transportation infrastructure that will benefit thousands of drivers in the Denver area for years to come. We are proud to continue our long-standing relationship with FLATIRON and excited to partner on this important and regionally significant effort.”
The project includes the following major components:
- Adding two tolled express lanes on westbound C-470 from I-25 to Colorado Boulevard,one tolled express lane between Colorado and Wadsworth Boulevard on westbound C-470, and one tolled express lane eastbound C-470 from Wadsworth to I-25, along with reconstruction of a portion of existing pavement
- Adding auxiliary lanes at selected locations
- Replacing the bridges over the South Platte River
- Widening of existing bridges throughout the project area
- Installing water-quality features where required
- Installing Intelligent Transportation Systems elements and tolling equipment
- Improving portions of on-ramps and off-ramps to current standards
- Realigning substandard curves
- Safety and operational improvements along C-470 between I-25 and Quebec by adding direct-connect ramps from I-25 to the C-470 tolled express lanes
- Installing noise barriers where required
- Adding grade separations for the multi-use trail at Quebec and Colorado
The FLATIRON-AECOM team was selected from among three shortlisted teams at the price opening held March 30, 2016. Teams were evaluated based on a best value determination using criteria such as ability to achieve optimization of traffic operations, optimization of life-cycle maintenance costs, ability to achieve project milestones and minimization of impact to the public during project construction.
Construction of the project is anticipated to begin this summer and is projected to be complete in early 2019. More information about the project can be found at https://www.codot.gov/projects/c470ExpressLanes.
About Express Lanes
All vehicles will pay a toll to use the Express Lanes and have a reliable travel time. HOV/Carpool option will not be available in the (C-470 Express) lanes. Travelers are never forced to pay a toll and can always choose to use the adjacent free general purpose lanes. Travelers of all lanes in corridors with Express Lanes can benefit by more consistent, faster speeds and reduced travel times.
About Flatiron Construction Corp.
FLATIRON develops innovative solutions to build transportation and infrastructure projects across the U.S. and Canada, including roads, bridges, highways, rail transit, runways, dams, water treatment and storage facilities for both public and private clients. FLATIRON delivers projects through a variety of contracting methods, including bid-build, design-build and public private partnerships. More information can be found at www.flatironcorp.com.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM had revenue of approximately $18 billion during fiscal year 2015. See how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.