Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Finalists
Chicago, IL—Finalists for the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) 2016 Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards have been announced. This design competition takes place each year to recognize excellence in structural engineering. Finalists presented discussions of the merits of their projects before a panel of distinguished leaders in the construction industry during the sold-out SEAOI May Dinner Meeting on Tuesday May 3, 2016 in Chicago, IL.
- 130th and Terrence Avenue Grade Separation, by Alfred Benesch & Company
- 150 North Riverside, by Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- 1K Fulton, by Forefront Structural Engineers
- Ethelbert Cooper Gallery of African & African American Art, by Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
- Gordon Parks Arts Hall (University of Chicago Lab Schools), by Rubinos & Mesia Engineers, Inc.
- Joliet Central High School, New Student Center Addition, by Wight & Company
- LondonHouse Hotel, by TGRWA, LLC
- Navy Pier Ferris Wheel Infrastructure, by Thornton Tomasetti
- NEIU EL Centro, by Forefront Structural Engineers
- New Splayed Steel Frame Glass Canopy, by Probe Consulting Engineers, Inc.
- Northwestern University, Ryan Center for the Musical Arts, by Thornton Tomasetti
- OKO Tower, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- The Strand, American Conservatory Theater (A.C.T.), by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- Tanana River Bridge, by Hanson Professional Services Inc.
- Writers Theatre, by Halvorson and Partners: A WSP| Parsons Brinckerhoff Company
- Zurich North America Headquarters, by Halvorson and Partners: A WSP| Parsons Brinckerhoff Company
The 2016 Panel of Judges are:
- Academia – Karen Chou, Assistant Chair of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University
- Architecture – Dawn Schuette – Current president of AIA Chicago and Owner Threshold Acoustics LLC
- Government – Asif Rahman, Deputy Director of Permitting, City of Chicago Building Department
- Structural Engineering – Paul Kelley, Senior Principal, Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
- Media – Anjulie Rao, Communications Director for AIA Chicago/Editor, Chicago Architect
Awards will be given to projects in the following categories at the SEAOI Annual Awards Bnquet, which will be held June 11, 2016 at Willis Tower in Chicago, IL:
- Jurors’ Favorite/Most Innovative Structure
- Best Project – > $150 Million
- Best Project – $50 Million to $150 Million
- Best Project – $5 Million to $50 Million
- Best Project – $1 Million to $5 Million
- Best Bridge/Transportation Project
- Best Renovation/Retrofit Project
- Lavicka Award (up to $1 Million)
For more information about the Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards, the finalists and projects, or to register for the Annual Banquet, please visit www.SEAOI.org.
The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI) was founded in 1965 by practicing structural engineers to advance and advocate excellence in structural engineering and to aid in safeguarding the lives and property of the public. SEAOI contributes to the expansion of the art and science of structural engineering by offering education, outreach and networking opportunities to members and the public living and working in Illinois.