Weidlinger Associates and Thornton Tomasetti Merge, Solidifying Leadership in Engineering Innovation
NEW YORK, Sept. 8, 2015—Thornton Tomasetti, Inc. and Weidlinger Associates, Inc. two of the world’s most respected engineering firms, have merged. The deal creates a leader in engineering innovation covering a broad range of investigation, analysis and design services. The combined firm will have 1,200 employees operating in 34 cities internationally. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“Combining our firms brings together two highly respected and recognized talent pools, creating significantly greater potential for growth and innovation than either firm could achieve alone. Both our cultures have a “one firm”
- The combined firm’s 10 practices allow it to deliver a broader range and higher level of service to its clients. It will also be better positioned to capitalize on its geographic reach and diverse talent pool, while providing growth opportunities for its employees.
- The new firm will operate under the Thornton Tomasetti name; three practices continue to be marketed with the Weidlinger brand where it carries strong industry recognition: Weidlinger Applied Science, Weidlinger Protective Design and Weidlinger Transportation.
- The firm will remain headquartered in New York City, with offices at the current 51 Madison Avenue and 40 Wall Street locations.
- Thornton Tomasetti benefits from the well-established Weidlinger practices that add technical depth, new geographic presence and market advantage to the company’s existing practices and markets. In addition, Weidlinger brings long-standing ties as a government contractor in the US and UK.
- Weidlinger benefits from significantly expanding its geographic reach, market access and project diversity, and access to a robust platform for innovation and growth.
- Weidlinger’s Applied Science and R&D development teams complement Thornton Tomasetti’s CORE studio and R&D initiatives, and accelerate the firm’s ability to innovate. The Applied Science team also deepens Thornton Tomasetti’s analytical offerings across all its design and forensic services.
- To incubate, develop and market product and service innovation, the firm will establish an R&D holding company.
- Thomas Scarangello continues as chairman & CEO of the combined companies, with Raymond Daddazio joining Robert DeScenza as co-president. Mr. Daddazio and two other Weidlinger board members, Grant McCullagh and Tod Rittenhouse, join the 11-person Thornton Tomasetti Board of Directors.
Thomas Z. Scarangello, Chairman & CEO, Thornton Tomasetti
“Combining our firms brings together two highly respected and recognized talent pools, creating significantly greater potential for growth and innovation than either firm could achieve alone. Both our cultures have a “one firm” approach, bringing the best qualified team to bear on any challenge presented by any client. Our more diverse merged expertise allows us to address a wider range of client needs, while offering enhanced breadth and depth of services and extended geographic reach.”
Raymond P. Daddazio, President & CEO, Weidlinger Associates
“Just as important as our complementary suite of services and geographic footprints is our compatible cultures. While no two firms are exactly alike, ours bear many similarities – including the drive for innovation, long-standing entrepreneurial spirits, and shared values in philanthropy, employee enrichment, embracing challenges and a desire to make lasting contributions. We’re also different enough in ways that our combination will inspire us to think and work in new and exciting ways.”
About Thornton Tomasetti
Thornton Tomasetti is a leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients worldwide on projects of all sizes and complexity. With practices in Structural Engineering, Façade Engineering, Forensics, Renewal, Construction Engineering, Property Loss Consulting and Sustainability, Thornton Tomasetti addresses the full life cycle of a structure. We have supported clients working in more than 50 countries, with projects that include the tallest buildings and longest spans to the restoration of prized historic properties. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti comprises more than 950 engineering, architecture, sustainability and support professionals who collaborate from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. http://www.ThorntonTomasetti.com
About Weidlinger Associates
For more than half a century, Weidlinger Associates has been known for its professionalism, innovative solutions and diversified practice. As a leading structural engineering and applied mechanics consultant, Weidlinger Associates designs and rehabilitates buildings, bridges and infrastructure, and develops advanced analysis software. The firm also offers special services in vulnerability assessment; risk analysis; forensic, earthquake, wind and blast engineering; soil/structure interaction; and sustainability. http://www.wai.com