/ Analysis / Boomberg Philanthropies Focuses on Road Safety in the Developing World

Boomberg Philanthropies Focuses on Road Safety in the Developing World

Matt Ball on September 29, 2014 - in Analysis, Maintenance, Projects, Transportation

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced that his philanthropic organization will spend $125 million during the next five years on programs to reduce traffic deaths and injuries in 10 cities in low- and middle-income countries.

The Bloomberg Global Road Safety Program works with six partner organizations to implement road safety activities and coordinate with in-country governmental and non-governmental stakeholders. They are placing an emphasis on achieving outcomes, and on using high-quality monitoring and evaluation mechanisms to continually assess the program’s progress. The Global Road Safety Program reflects Bloomberg Philanthropies’ vision that progress can be achieved both locally and nationally. Implementation of programs at the local level complements national policy progress.

The Bloomberg Global Road Safety Program targets ten low- and middle-income countries that account for half of the global fatalities caused from road traffic crashes: Brazil, Cambodia, China, Egypt, India, Kenya, Mexico, Russia, Turkey, and Vietnam.

Six Proven Interventions


    Motorcycle helmets are a proven way to decrease deaths and disabilities. Helmet usage decreases the risk of injuries by 69% and deaths by 42%.


    The simple act of buckling a seat-belt is one of the most-effective ways to save lives. Seat-belt use reduces serious and fatal injuries by 40% to 65%.


    Drinking and driving can put everyone on the road in danger. Drinking and driving increases both the risk of a crash and the likelihood that a death or a serious injury will occur.


    An increase in average speed is directly related to the likelihood of a crash occurring and to the severity of its consequences. A pedestrian struck by a car going 40 mph has a 70% chance of dying, while a pedestrian struck by a car going 30 mph has a 20% chance of dying – or an 80% chance of surviving.


    Road Safety improvements such as shoulder widening, installation of a median or barrier, controlled crosswalks, lane marking and separation, intersection improvement, and other measures reduce the risk of road traffic fatalities and injuries for all road users, including car occupants, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians by 25% to 40%.


    Roads are made safer by reducing car travel and designing secure modes of transit, including mass transportation systems, walking infrastructure, and bike routes. One example of mass transport is the bus rapid transit system, which can reduce fatalities and crashes by 40% to 50%.

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.org/program/public-health/road-safety/#solution

Comments are disabled